The backbone of every great oral hygiene program begins with brushing and flossing twice daily, although some dentists would say that flossing once daily is ok too. We all tend to have brushing our teeth down well, as we remember to hit each and every side of our teeth, but strangely, we don’t put as much emphasis into flossing correctly. In case your skill has fallen off, here is a reminder:
– Floss at least once a day.
– Break off a piece of thread approximately 18 inches in length.
– Wrap each end of the floss around each middle finger until you only have an inch or two to work with.
– Gently slide the floss up-and-down between your teeth and avoiding pressing too hard when reaching the gumline.
– When you reach the gumline , gently curve the floss into a ‘c’ shape around the tooth, to go beneath the gumline.
– When moving to a new tooth, use the same gentle up-and-down motion to move away from your finished tooth.
– Each time you move to a new tooth, use a new section of the floss by adjusting the line using your middle finger.
– Remember to get between every tooth, as well as the backside of your last teeth.
Be sure to ask your dentist for recommendations on acceptable floss products, and don’t forget to brush twice daily.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Steven Rodriguez at Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester, you can call us at 734-428-8000, or stop by our office in Manchester, Michigan.