Our dental professionals want to make sure you have the information you need to help take care of your teeth. We have provided some basic dental information on this page. We welcome you to contact Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester with your questions and concerns, and schedule your consultation with one of our dentists. We are here to help you!
How can I take care of my smile between dental checkups?
It is generally recommended that you visit the dentist every six months for a dental checkup, and that you take good care of your teeth in between these regular visits. Good oral hygiene practices at home will help keep your teeth health and your smile beautiful. As part of your at-home dental care routine, we recommend that you:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day. You should brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Maintain a balanced, healthy diet with a limited amount of very sugary or acidic foods. You should also avoid tobacco, which can cause periodontal (gum) disease, oral cancer, and will most likely stain your teeth.
- Visit our office at least twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam.
- Ask our dentist about dental sealants and fluoride treatment to see if they are right for your smile.
Please call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester today to make your appointment with one of our friendly dentists and learn more about dental hygiene in Manchester, Michigan.
What causes tooth decay?
Tooth decay is caused by a buildup of plaque on your teeth. This plaque combines with sugars and starches from food to create an acid that eats away the enamel on your teeth, causing cavities. You can prevent cavities and other decay by brushing and flossing your teeth regularly, and by maintaining a balanced diet to limit your intake of sugary and starchy foods. Our dentists in Manchester, Michigan, also recommend visiting Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester regularly to receiving dental cleanings and exams to help maintain your oral health.
Why are my teeth sensitive?
Sensitive teeth are a common dental condition. Many of our patients experience sensitivity in their teeth when they come into contact with extreme temperatures, or hot or cold drinks and foods. Tooth sensitivity can be caused by receding gums and by small fractures in the teeth. Our dentists at Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester offer several treatments to help reduce tooth sensitivity in Manchester, Michigan, helping to enjoy your favorite foods and outdoors activities without pain or discomfort. Give us a call today to learn more about our treatments and schedule your consultation with our dental professionals.
How does fluoride work?
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that works to strengthen and protect your teeth from decay. Our dental professionals recommend that you receive fluoride treatments every six months as part of your routine dental cleaning and exam. We also advise that you use a toothpaste and mouth rinse that contain fluoride in your dental home care. If you have any questions about fluoride in Manchester, Michigan, please call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester to speak with a member of our team and make your appointment with one of our dentists.
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
If left untreated, oral cancer can threaten your life. In its early stages, however, it is very easy to treat. The following are commons signs of oral cancer:
- Sores in or near the mouth that do not heal within two weeks and bleed easily.
- The development of a lump, bump, crust, or eroded area in or near your mouth.
- White, red, or speckled whiten and red patches in the mouth.
- A constant feeling of something caught in your throat.
- A chronic sore or hoarse throat.
- Difficulty in chewing, swallowing, or moving the tongue or jaw.
- Unexplained numbness or loss of feeling in the tongue or other parts of your mouth.
- Swelling in your jaw or neck that lasts more than 3 weeks.
- Loose teeth.
What is gum disease? What are its symptoms?
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, can ruin your oral health if left untreated. If you notice redness, swelling, or easy bleeding in your gums, or if you are concerned about gum disease in Manchester, Michigan, we invite you to call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester today and schedule an appointment with one of our dentists.
If you notice any of these symptoms, we strongly encourage you to call Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Manchester and make an appointment with our dentists. Our dental professionals can help diagnose oral cancer, and give you a head start on the treatments you need to restore your health.