Bad breath is often an indication of a deeper underlying illness. Bad breath, often called halitosis, is the result of less than pleasant odors coming from your mouth. These odors are often caused by bacterial buildup within your smile, but can also be the result of something worse. Listed below are a few things you should know about bad breath to help you understand how bad breath manifests:
– Neglected oral hygiene can cause bad breath, specifically the buildup of plaque in your mouth.
– Bad breath can originate from respiratory tract infections and kidney and liver issues.
– Bad breath is most often caused by lackadaisical brushing and flossing, or lack thereof.
– Bad breath can originate from gum disease, also known as periodontal disease.
– One of the best treatments for bad breath is mouthwash, as it can help wash away harmful bacteria and food residue that create many bad breath issues.
– Quit bad habits that can contribute to bad breath, such as smoking or chewing tobacco.
– Bad breath can originate from medications that produce dry mouth as a symptom.
Keeping your breath clean and fresh is vital in your quest for optimum oral health. To schedule your professional cleaning at Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Manchester with Dr. Steven Rodriguez and our team at our dental office in Manchester, Michigan, simply give us a call at 734-428-8000. We look forward to hearing from you!